You may have seen the posters around Cultus Lake Park about when to call Police and when to call Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement. This blog post shares additional information about this topic – information to help keep the people who live, work and play in Cultus Lake Park safe, and to ensure that the call goes to the right place when made.
Call 911 in a Police Emergency
When there is a situation that involves an immediate threat to a person’s safety or the security of their property. This includes:
- Events that involve an immediate threat to a person or property: screams, attacks, gunshots, fires, car accidents with injuries, or other medical emergencies.
- A substantive, in-progress crime such as a fight, break and enter (if there is a suspect on scene), or a report of an impaired driver.
- A serious crime that has just occurred (examples: sexual assault or robbery).
- A suspicious circumstance that may indicate an imminent criminal act (examples: prowler, vandal).
Call (604) 792-4611 for Non-Emergency Police Situations
Call this number when you want to report:
- A crime with no suspect.
- A crime with a suspect, but the suspect is not on the scene.
- A serious crime with a suspect, but with a lengthy delay (example: assault that occurred last night).
- A non-emergency is in progress (example: noisy party).
- Ongoing crime issues or crimes that are not in-progress (examples: graffiti or ongoing drug dealing with no suspect on the scene).
- A suspicious circumstance that may indicate an ongoing criminal activity (example: suspected drug lab).
When to Call Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement
The Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement Officers enforce the bylaws of Cultus Lake Park. They are NOT police or security.
Please call Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement when:
- There is a situation where a bylaw is being broken.
- You have a question about a bylaw.
It is important to note that Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement Officers do NOT handle emergency situations. A bylaw being broken is NOT an emergency – as frustrating as it can be. If the person is putting themselves or someone else at risk, please call 911.
The Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement number is: (604) 858-5298.
Voicemails left outside of office hours will be returned within 48 hours.